Social Justice After Attacks on the Capitol
In light of the horrific events that took place at the Capitol in DC this week by white supremacist terrorists I wanted to share something…
This week has been rough and a lot has been shared on my social pages and others. I wanted to first say thank you for sticking around and understanding that as much as I love sharing recipes, flowers, parties, and the beauty I find in the world, I'm also a person. A person who believes in social justice. I'm a person who believes in standing up for what's right. A person who knows goodness and kindness are not the same. I'm a person who knows that staying silent will only perpetuate the racist and prejudiced world we live in.
If we don't use our own voices, platforms, and privilege to stand up for what is right, what is good, what is best for this country and world... then who are we? Silence is violence. Kindness isn't goodness. I believe in positivity and hope...but to get to these places, we must speak
of the negatives. We must call out the bad. Talk about the uncomfortable. Be willing to question those we love. Be okay not pleasing everyone, losing followers and maybe even friends. Doing what is right and what is easy are usually two different things. Always try to choose the first.
Again, for those who have made it this far...Thank you, thank you for being a part of this community. Thank you for being here for the beauty in the world, the comfort we find in food, the pretty photos... but also sticking around for making the world a better place. To bring light, hope, positivity, beauty to all people, we must be willing to do the work to get there.
I’ve tried to put together another list for you all of how to actively stand up to racism and a racist society. I think there is so much work to be done, and we have a lot of work to do from individual efforts to state and nationwide efforts. My lists below are action items you can take now to make a difference. I hope it helps!
Table of Contents
- Table of Contents
- How to Stand Up to White Supremacy
- Educate Yourself
- Sign Petitions
- Make Calls
- Places to Donate to Support Those Affected by the Attack in DC and Support Social Justice
- Social Justice Instagram Accounts to Follow
- Other Posts on Social Justice
- Other Resource Lists (including Movies, TV Shows, Books, Podcasts)
- Anti-Racism Books
- Love this Post?
How to Stand Up to White Supremacy
There is goodness and light in the world. We can share this goodness and help everyone by taking actions.
Share everywhere you can, educate yourself, talk to friends and family, sign petitions, donate when you can, fight for what is right. Do what is good!
Let’s fight for it. Some resources I’ve found that might prove helpful for you.
There is so much that we don’t have control of in how the country is run. So, we must vote in each and every election. Big or small. It is our duty to our country and our neighbors. For all our rights to be protected, we must have people in office willing to fight for us. So please, take a few minutes to make sure you are registered: Register to Vote.
Alright, one of my biggest things I will preach on all facts and situations, but especially social justice is to do your own research. Find reliable sources, then question them. I’ve posted on this on my Instagram in the past, but scholarly research is necessary for deciding on facts.
Some really great free sources for doing research are
Non-Partisan Fact Based Sources
- Antiracism Daily Newsletter
- The free #DoTheWork Challenge
- Good Ancestor Academy
- Teaching Tolerance
Again, there are so many more petitions and things to do out there. I know I’ll be missing some, so please let me know what I’m missing and I will try to add it to this list as soon as possible. Thank you for your help in building this list!
- SIGN THE PETITION: Impeach Trump now and remove him from office!
- ACLU Impeach Trump Petition
- Hold any Congress Member who refuses to wear a mask fully accountable
- Investigate the Infiltration at the Capitol
- Text "IMPEACH" to 50409
- Hold Them Accountable
- Declare the “Proud Boys” a Terrorist Organization
- Remove House of Delegates Member Derrick Evans for Terrorism
- Enact the 25th amendment in response to the January attack at the U?.?S. Capitol Building
- Color of Change
One of my amazing followers sent this resource to me. If there are other sites like this, please let me know and I will add them.
Places to Donate to Support Those Affected by the Attack in DC and Support Social Justice
These are just some of the many many wonderful places you can donate to to support those in need and those who can help us make the many changes needed in our country. Comment below to let me know which organizations I am missing!
- Ongoing Mutual Aid for DC Frontliners & Activists
- Black Lives Matter
Social Justice Instagram Accounts to Follow
This doesn’t include any local or national news or political leaders. Please please follow those accounts as well to keep up to date. Of course, there are some missing here as well, including ones I follow myself because I just forget some. Comment below to let me know who I am missing!
- Alex Albadree: @alex.albadree
- Ruby Bridges: @rubybridgesofficial
- Ibram X. Kendi: @ibramxk
- Brandon Kyle Goodman: @brandonkgood
- Brittany Packnett Cunningham: @mspackyetti
- Rachel Cargle: @rachel.cargle
- Danielle Coke: @ohhappydani
- Ericka Hart, M.Ed.: @ihartericka
- Dom Roberts: @domrobxrts
- Cleo Wade: @cleowade
- Layla F. Saad: @laylafsaad
- Ijeoma Oluo: @ijeomaoluo
- Allen: @lilnativeboy
- The Conscious Kid: @theconsciouskid
- Attn: White People: @attnwhitepeople
- Attn: Americans: @attnamericans
- So you want to talk about: @soyouwanttotalkabout
- Alma: @hey.alma
- Morgan Harper Nichols: @morganharpernichols
Other Posts on Social Justice
These are other posts from my own site that talk about Social Justice. One is what I shared back in June about BLM movement and the protests surrounding the murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and so many other Black lives. The other is a post for the electronic cookbook I put together with over 35 other socially conscious recipe developers. All raising money for the ACLU.
Other Resource Lists (including Movies, TV Shows, Books, Podcasts)
- Guide to Allyship
- Anguish with Action
- Antiracist Resource Guide
- Antiracism Resources
- Black Lives Matter
- A Guide to White Privilege
- Optical Allyship
- Action Items, Silence is not an Option
- Here’s How White People Can Support The Fight Against Police Brutality
- Anti-Racism Resources + How to be an Ally to the Black Community
- If I really want people to be free, it’s not about my comfort
These are just a few of my own favorite books. I’ve been compiling others through the resources just above this. Please be actively reading and growing.
- Amazing Grace by Jonathan Kozol
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Make These 21 Books Part Of Your Anti-Racism Education
- Black Authored Cookbooks
- Black Owned Book stores where you can buy online (thank you for this resource Kelsea): Uncle Bobbies, Keybookstore, MohaganyBooks, Semicolon, Hakim’s BookStore, Harrietts Bookshop, Ashay By the Bay, The Lit Bar, Afriware Books.
Love this Post?
Did you use this article and did it help you? Awesome! If you have a quick minute and could leave a comment below, I would appreciate the support and knowing your feedback! And if you’re over on Instagram, be sure to tag me in your photos.
Thank you! We need to hear about this from people in all spaces.
Thank YOU for the support. I agree. We need everyone to share this messaging.
Darlene Kayser says
Thank you Amanda for always standing up. Thank you for making the world beautiful and sharing your yummy recipes but being tough enough to always stand up for the right. You always have and I know you always will. Your light is bright..don’t let anyone ever dim it. Thank you. <3
Thank you so much Darlene. That means so much to me. I think it's so important that everyone shares this messaging that we don't tolerate hate and intolerance. For unity, we need to condemn white supremacists publicly and hold those accountable for the attacks.