Sheet pan nachos have always been a big thing in my family. Growing up, our house was the hang-out spot for all of my friends. And something that my mom used to make us that would feed a large group of kids was sheet pan nachos. Top them off with homemade Quick Pickled Onions.
Table of Contents
Top Ingredients for Sheet Pan Nachos
Usually the better the ingredients, the better your food will taste. I'll go over some details about each ingredient, what's best to get high quality, what special things to look for, and what things can't be substituted. Not all items will have notes.
Mexican Style Chicken Tips
- Avocado Oil: I personally love avocado oil and using this to cook in sauté pans. However, you can use olive or vegetable oil. The smoking point will adjust, so pay close attention. Olive oil has a 410° F smoking point and avocado oil has a 520° F smoking point. Meaning that olive oil would burn at a lower temperature/time on the stove. - Chicken Breasts: I am using chicken breasts as I find they are the easiest to shred. However, you can do this with thighs. Or even with jackfruit for a vegan/vegetarian version.
- Fajita Seasoning: You can use a store-bought version in a packet or jar or you can make your own. I have a recipe on my site you can use!
- Salsa: I used a mild salsa, you could use whatever if your favorite! I usually prefer something spicy, but knew I was adding in jalapenos, so adjust as you'd like.
- Adobo Sauce: This can be optional if you don't like super spicy foods. I use the cans of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Then I use the leftovers for other recipes like my spicy turkey burgers.
Tips on Ingredients for Nachos
- Beans: You don't have to use black beans, but those are my favorite. Feel free to swap in refried or whatever floats your boat.
- Kale: This is a big yes for me! My friend introduced me to kale on nachos and life hasn't been the same since. The kale gets crispy and delicious and it makes me feel like they are healthier!
- Pickled Onions: I love a good pickled onion and they are so easy to make. Here is the recipe: Quick Pickled Onions.
Tips to make the best One Sheet Pan Meal
These tips are helpful for when you are making the recipe. Outside of the tips for ingredients above, these are tips on how to do something or why what I've listed in the recipe is necessary.
- Shredded Chicken: I personally like to make mine in advance because I don't want to have to make all these things at the same time. You can make it a couple of days in advance and store in the fridge. You will also have some leftovers, which can be great for making these nachos twice, or double the recipe for a bigger group. Or you can use it on salad, in quesadillas, etc.
- Cheese: The layering of cheese on the bottom and top is super necessary to get items to stick together. It acts like an ingredient glue sandwich. Be sure you layer correctly, according to the instructions below.
- Assembling: After baking your nachos comes the fun part. If you want to, you can build all the toppings right on top. Or if you have picky people you're eating with, just make little bowls of all the toppings and let people layer what they want on top.
FAQs on Sheet Pan Nachos
Sure. I would heat it separately and add it on top at the end.
Yes, use your favorite dairy-free cheese (something meltable or a liquid queso) and use jackfruit as your protein replacement. Prepare it almost the same as chicken, but I suggest rinsing and drying it first.
Other Recipes to Try
Love this Recipe?
Did you make this recipe and just love it? Awesome! If you have a quick minute and could leave a star rating and comment below, I would appreciate the support and knowing your feedback! And if you’re over on Instagram, be sure to tag me in your photos!
- stand mixer or forks
- 1 lb chicken cooked
- ½ cup salsa your favorite brand
- 9 oz Tortilla chips
- 12 oz shredded Mexican cheese
- 2 cups kale loosely packed
- 15 oz black beans pre-cooked
Nacho Toppings Ingredients
- 1 avocado sliced
- ¼ cup pickled onion*
- 1 jalapeño sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- 2 Radishes sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- Preheat oven to 350° F and take out a large lipped baking sheet. You can prepare it with parchment paper or leave it as is.
- Shred the cooked chicken with a fork or use a paddle attachment on your stand mixer. Add in salsa and stir well.
- Lay a hefty layer of tortilla chips. Take half of your cheese and sprinkle across the chips evenly. Then evenly spread out your kale, beans, and chicken. Then finish off with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Keep a close eye on them so you don't burn your nachos.
- Remove from oven and top with all or whichever toppings you would like to add. Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.